8 Responses

Page 1 of 1
  1. Penelope Anne Cole
    Penelope Anne Cole December 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm |

Hi Margo, I agree. Characters should change and grow. If they seem “stuck” and don’t “get it,” we’re frustrated with them. We cheer when they finally accept they have to grow/change to accomplish their goals, make things better, and achieve something. We see that in real life and want it in stories. In my children’s book, “Magical Matthew,” he changes and has to grow because of it. He can’t live in the past. He has to accept the change and grow in order to move on to the next stage of life– like your Anna in “Finding My Place.”

2. Cathy C. Hall
    Cathy C. Hall December 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm |

Yes, I think growth is good, and certainly interesting. But I think you can get away with a strong, plot-driven story for young middle grade, especially if you have good characters. Kids fall for a character, right? But the higher-end, 11 and older, a character needs to change to add another layer of depth to the story.

I think FINDING MY PLACE succeeded for younger middle grade because you had such a unique setting (I mean, what kid hasn’t dreamed of living in a cave???) and lots of interesting historical stuff to throw into the plot. But the depth came from Anna’s growth–it was a coming of age for her–and that made the novel older middle grade.

I had an editor tell me once that in middle grade, the characters are engaged in the little world around them. In YA, the character is looking for their place in the big, wide world. I thought that was brilliant– (And had to revise my novel!) ;-)

3. Margo Dill
    Margo Dill December 6, 2012 at 7:43 am |

@Penelope–I need to read your book. :) I so agree that a character STUCK is so frustrating. Sometimes I notice that more in adult novels than in children’s. That says something about adults, huh?

@Cathy–I love that about middle grade and YA characters–I think I am going to put that in the class I am teaching in the new year. I will say my brilliant writing friend, Cathy Hall, heard from an even more brilliant editor . . . :)

4. Mary Horner
    Mary Horner December 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm |

Great information, Margo. These are questions I need to keep in mind when writing fictional (and nonfictional) characters!

5. Aaron
    Aaron April 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm |

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m satisfied that
    you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please stay
    us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

6. sears promo code
    sears promo code July 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm |

One of the very best ways to carry out couponing successfully would
    be to follow the suggestions of different consumers.
    It could be your friend, family, and on occasion even the net reviews.
    Adhering to a development, where in fact the people are being benefited is
    obviously reliable. It saves your time and effort as well, as you can easily get info for employing a coupon with sears discount signal.
    This can also work vice-versa, where you can help
    others while sharing your knowledge on line or during socialization.

Richard Sears was a lot in song to the progressions in his
    nation and used them along with his new business, since it happened.

Mail request buying turned into another routine, as
    individuals we are just starting to go west and more railroads were being built.
    Customers from on the place were extremely stimulated to have the ability to obtain such exceptional things while never having to leave their houses.

At sears voucher could be employed on jewelries, apparels,
    automotive products and services, and loads more. You can acquire a voucher which can be employed
    on any particular brand or product class. You’ll find deals which can be applied in a particular amount of purchase. In this instance, there might not be any restriction for choosing the merchandise. Thus, it can be easily understood that how useful the coupons can be as far as your purchase from Sears is concerned. Beginning the ladies shoes to even the mattresses and the exercise equipments, the said coupons could be acquired in a number of items, as stated earlier.

7. web page
    web page July 25, 2013 at 10:49 pm |

Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just
    wondering if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you
    stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

8. sears promotional code
    sears promotional code April 16, 2014 at 1:55 pm |

Save Money at Kohl’s: Save $5 in Store and 10%
    Online. Sears is centrally located at 7201 Two Notch Road in
    Columbia. Jackets have taken on new colors, shapes and styles, with everything
    from rounded collars to waterfall lapels and
    exciting new boucle textures.