18 Responses

Page 1 of 1
  1. Becky Povich
    Becky Povich October 11, 2012 at 6:12 am |

Margo, although I certainly knew about KB’s early entry into the world, I wasn’t aware of how she was taken care of, or all preemies, for that matter. I can understand your loneliness, and yet not upset little KB with the wrong kind of music. Fantastic idea about the Christmas music! Every time I listen to those stations that start playing it way too soon, I’ll think of you and KB!

2. Margo Dill
    Margo Dill October 11, 2012 at 7:00 am |

Oh, Becky, thank you! :) Nowadays, she likes the same music as her big brother–POP! She can sing right along with, “Call Me Maybe.” LOL!

3. Patricia
    Patricia October 11, 2012 at 7:44 am |

Margo, thanks for going back to that time. I did not know about the environment for preemies. Music is such a comfort!

4. Erin Tarr
    Erin Tarr October 11, 2012 at 8:21 am |

As someone who DJ’s for a variety of events, the truth of how music impacts our moments could not be more obvious to me. Something as simple as sharing a meal with soft music in the background can change the entire atmosphere of this tiny moment. What a blessing to be able to use music during this emotionally draining time to make the days brighter. I love Becky’s comment about “too early Christmas music” making her think of you and KB … what a great way to turn an annoyance into a smile.

5. Linda M. Neas
    Linda M. Neas October 11, 2012 at 10:14 am |

Wow, Margo, has it been that long already! I remember when you had KB and how hard we all prayed that you would all be OK. Wonderful story! Thanks for bringing a smile into my overcast day.

Oh, and Happy (almost) Birthday to KB!!

6. Linda M. Neas
    Linda M. Neas October 11, 2012 at 10:16 am |

Hope this goes through…it says I sent it twice, but I only hit comment once. :-(

Oh, and Happy (almost) Birthday to KB!!

7. Carole Di Tosti
    Carole Di Tosti October 11, 2012 at 10:54 am |

This is a great post. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Music’s benefit to us is incalculable.

8. Susan Hornbach
    Susan Hornbach October 11, 2012 at 10:58 am |

Thank you for sharing your story Margo. It is heartwarming, and amazing what the medical world can do today. We can endure anything ,as long as it isn’t something wrong with our children. It must have been a most spiritual time for you. So happy all is well now.

Also wishing Sonia great success with her book. It seems she too is a person who has traveled the troubled road in life. But now she gets to inspire others, what a wonderful gift. May God Bless all of you.

9. Angela
    Angela October 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm |

What a beautiful story, Margo. :) Thank you for sharing some of your NICU experience. Like others said, I had no idea about the womb-like environment. It makes sense! Personally, I’ve always found Christmas music comforting, even when everyone else is groaning around me for celebrating too early. It’s funny, we have a bunch of pics on our fridge of nieces and nephews, and the other day my hubby was looking at them and said, “Who’s that? Is she one of our nieces?” It was the adorable pic you sent me of KB last Christmas in her polka-dotted dress. :) Happy birthday to KB this month, and hugs to you both!!

10. Penelope Anne Cole
    Penelope Anne Cole October 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm |

Hi Margo, Thank you for sharing your story of KB’s early birth. Having music to support, connect, and uplift you was a blessing. I can’t imagine a day or a world without music. It is truly a blessed gift from God, both to listen to and be able to sing. I wish Sonia much success, too.

11. Margo Dill
    Margo Dill October 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm |

Thank you to everyone for leaving such nice comments!
    @Angela–that’s funny that your husband was wondering if he was related to KB! :)

@Penelope: Music is so important–the more I thought about it today, the more I realized it. :)

@Susan: Definitely when something is wrong with our children–it is difficult and all consuming

@Carole, Patricia, Linda: THank you for your kind words and support

@Erin: I don’t think I knew you were a DJ too. You are amazing!

12. Cathy C. Hall
    Cathy C. Hall October 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm |

I can surely see how holiday music could jolly up your little KB.

Music is so evocative for me…so many tunes can transport me instantly to a time and place. And now you have this extra-special mommy-daughter memory. So that whenever you hear Rudolph-the-Red-Nosed Reindeer you’ll have this indescribable urge to…pump. ;-)

(I love that you shared this story, Margo. Honestly, music has brought me through many a tough time. Isn’t it amazing that a few notes can mean so much? Thanks for reminding me!)

13. Melissa Abramovitz
    Melissa Abramovitz October 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm |

Thank you for sharing your story, Margo, it was heartwarming and of course with your writer’s talents, I could clearly “see” the scene you described. As a music lover, I was also thrilled that music played a role in your coping and your daughter’s strengthening. It’s amazing how powerful music can be!
    Best of luck on your book too!

14. Susan Berger
    Susan Berger October 12, 2012 at 2:42 pm |

Thank you so much for sharing your story. My grand baby was born at 36 weeks this january. We all breathed a major sigh of relief that Elinor managed to stay inside that long. I have some idea of how hard this was for you. What a beautiful little baby!
    Blessings,
    sue B

15. Lynn Obermoeller
    Lynn Obermoeller October 14, 2012 at 9:54 am |

Touching story about your experience with music in the hospital with your daughter.

16. Margo Dill
    Margo Dill October 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm |

@lynn: THANK YOU!

17. Margo Dill
    Margo Dill October 17, 2012 at 5:31 pm |

Cathy Hall–you were the winner from my blog and your name goes into the big drawing! Congrats.